Tuesday, June 9, 2015

My Latest AdvoCare Running Regime






I've missed you kitty cats!


After I posted my last Crossfit product post, I got a slew of requests for the latest running lineup.  I've been meaning to post this for 40 days and nights.   But lo and behold..... Finally....
It's Going Down For Real....
  #FloRida #MyHouse 
Anyone else?  
Me-   Obsessed with that song.  



Here's the deal.   I play around with products like it's my jizzzob.   Well, it kinda is.  But I LOVE this game of product tweaking based on goals and the overall situation at hand.    

My life basically consists of 3 different types of runs.



1.   The casual, no big deal, don't care about pace, short run.

2.   The long run.

3. The balls to the wall/ I'm in a race / doing speed work / planning to break my legs / run.


Let's elaborate.



1.  The Casual Run


This would likely be less than 5 miles, I just want to zone out, chill out, run alone, and play the tunes.   


Groundhog day.   Yes.   However, my go to products are  always Spark and Catalyst.    These two products are the bread and butter of everything that I do.   Whether it's Crossfit, boxing, running.... it doesn't matter.  Spark and Catalyst are always involved.      Wanna know why I love Spark?   Read all about it here.




And Catalyst.....  Here is a post from what feels like 29 years ago.  And guess what?  I'm still obsessed with Catalyst.     Catalyst rocks.  And with regular workouts, it  makes you look lean.    And mean.   Beautiful, glorious branched chained amino acids.  
   Catalyst protects and fuels our muscle mass during weight loss and physical activity.  Honestly, if someone made me choose between Spark and Catalyst or I would die.... 
I would choose Catalyst.    Gasp. 
 I know. 
That's how much I love it.   






2.  The Long Run


It probably goes without saying that the morning of every long run starts with the above combo.  Spark and Catalyst.   This is also how I start every single day, so no bigs.   I can't even tell you the last time I didn't start a day with these two products.   Seriously.  

What constitutes a long run?   For me, I'm gearing back up for Chicago Marathon training so a long run  at this point is 10 miles or so.

As the training season progresses and our mileage increases, things will change slightly in terms of products.


So, yes.  Back to my original story.


Spark/ Catalyst for starters.  


About 30 minutes before I head out, I have 




This picture is from the Cap City Half Marathon last month.  



The 02 Gold, I've talked about 14 million times and I'm sure you're all sick of me.    But... I can't help myself....


This product is designed to enhance the bodies ability to utilize oxygen and and enhance physical activity.   It contains adaptogens,  which are designed to assist your body in resisting physical stress (aka...exercise!)   These adaptogens have been shown to help facilitate oxygen transport, which in turn increases your  physical ability and more importantly, your tolerance for physical exertion.   For me, this means I can run farther and for a greater amount of time without feeling a whole lot of cardiovascular stress.   My breathing is less labored and I just feel more comfortable in general.

Skeptical?   I was too.   However, for me, the products that I love, specifically 02 Gold,  speak for themselves.     I have been using this product for four years now and can truly say, aside from Spark and Catalyst, this is the one product that I'm calling every person in a 90 mile radius who I suspect may have a stash, if/when I run out.    And if I can't locate it that way...I basically call 911.


  The V02 Prime bar was just released a couple years ago and I recently rediscovered it about 6 months ago.  For me, it's THE PERFECT pre long run bar.     





140 calories, a great ratio of carbs/protein/fat, and it tastes amazing.     BUT, more importantly, it contains beetroot juice, which has been shown to contribute to the body's nitric oxide production.  What does this mean?     Exercise and physical beatings in general are going to feel slightly less painful and slightly easier.       

So yes, these two together are my jams.



The other thing I LOVE for longer runs is Arginine Extreme.  





I feel like I've talked about this one a zillion times too but I swear by it for extra cardio support.    This is another product that I use for Crossfit as well.  



And lastly...


If I'm running longer than 8 or 9 miles, this is a given.  





First off, this is cheaper than any other type of gel you would find at a running store, Dicks, etc.    But  that's not why I love it.....


This is not your typical gel.  The majority of the other gels are THICK and 100-120  calories.   This is a very thin, watery consistency and only 80 calories.   May not seem like a huge deal but if I'm busting my hump running, I don't want to waste 120 calories on gel.     I just don't.   But that's really not my favorite part.   This gel contains sequential carbs,  which means your body is going to utilize them in 3 different ways, at 3 different times.  You are going to get an immediate boost,  you are also going to get your typical hydration via electrolytes and carbs,  but you are going to get a recovery component as well.     This will carry you.   I took one of these at mile 9 of my 14 miler on Saturday and when I look at my splits, it's obvious when I took Rehydrate.    I've tried every gel on the planet and this is hands down my favorite. 




3.   The Balls to the Wall Training Run/ Race/ Speed Work


Obviously we've got Spark/ 02 Gold, per usual.


Aside from the other products above, depending on the running sitch at hand, I have somehow gotten roped  into Muscle Fuel.  




You guys.   This stuff is the real deal.   However....   I can't even begin to tell you how terrible this tastes.  

You guys know I'm real.     And I'm probably not supposed to complain about the taste.  But seriously.  


However, the punch this packs is off the chain.   The taste is off the chain too.     Basically rocket fuel.     But you want running wings?     Here you go, yo.  


   It contains everything crazy town from creatine, to caffeine, to bcaa's, to green tea extract.       I reserve it for serious situations for two reasons.  
A) I can't handle the taste, as discussed above.  
B)   It's so potent for me that I would hate for my body to even remotely get used to it.   

Clearly, that's not gonna happen but the mind is a powerful thing so I reserve it for serious running.    



So yes.   

That's a ton of info. but that's my current/  getting ready to start training for Chicago line up.


This will change over the next couple of months and I'll update accordingly.     But for now, these are the goodies.


Night Night, friends.

Tomorrow is Wednesday.   Let's do it up.  





2 comments:

  1. When do you take Arginine Extreme during long runs? Before? After? during?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, typically about 30 min before. Hope that helps!

      Delete