Saturday, February 21, 2015

My Advo Running Love Story

Happy Friday, friends!  

 "It's the freakin' weekend baby I'm about to have me some fun…."

Anyone remember that song?   If you don't have it on your playlist, download it stat.  

Ignition.  R Kelly.






Lots of you saw this on my Advo Facebook page and as promised, I told ya I'd give you my scoop.   Lots of questions and I figured I'd just give you the goods in one place.  


As you all know, I've basically always been a runner.   However, until Advo, I never felt like a truly "fit" runner.   I could run my races, was a middle of the road runner, had decent cardio capacity but that's kinda it.


In 2010 that all changed when I did my first 24 Day Challenge.    Granted, it took me forever and a day to figure out my routine and what works for me.     And really, it was probably the end of 2011 before I really got in my groove with the Performance Elite line.        But these days, I can't imagine working out or recovering without it.   Not only for running but they've done wonders for my boxing and crossfit.



Today…we shall focus on running.   

I'll save the strength/ Crossfit product talk for another post.


This post is from April of 2013 and I STILL follow this drill before I run.     



  Here is what works for ME..


THE first thing I do every morning is take 3 Catalyst.   Running or not.  The end.

I take this any time I drink a Spark and before I work out.   This is an amino acid supplement that is designed to help you maintain muscle mass.   Basically, it protects your muscle while you are in weight loss mode, or intense exercise mode.  The thing I LOVE about this product it also gradually gives you a look of being "lean."    It has allowed me to gain definition that I had never seen before, despite working my tail off and doing many of the very same workouts.   LOVE, love, love Catalyst.   Seriously.  It's basically my 3rd child.    Actually 4th, I can't do #runnerdog like dis.


  Sooo…. basically any time that I run further than 3 or 4 miles, these 3 products are always involved in some capacity.

Here have Spark02 Gold, and Arginine Extreme.




I  mix a scoop of Spark with a  scoop of Arginine Extreme about 45 minutes prior to heading out.    If it's a super early morning run and I don't have 45 minutes to spare,  I'll just make it the night before, refrigerate it,  and basically shoot it the minute I get out of bed.   I also take my two 02 Gold with this little concoction of Spark/ Arginine.    


Okay, so let's break it down.

I know we've talked about Spark  and why you need it in the past.  If you're a Sparkhead,  you know it's a huge impact product.   Tons of feel good B-vitamins, amino acids, and about 120 mg of caffeine.   Most of you have heard about this product or are currently using it on the reg, so I won't bore you with more details.


Now Arginine Extreme is a product that I've dabbled with in the past prior to Body Pump, Crossfit, and boxing classes but have never really used it as a precursor to my running until late.   I'm loving it.    And here are the benny's...


  • Provides and nourishes the precursors necessary for muscle growth and recovery
  • Provides excellent support for cardio workouts
  • Helps enhance strength and stamina, especially when used with AdvoCare® Muscle Fuel  (I obviously use Spark)
  • Helps support nutrient delivery to muscles
  • Helps promote short-term increases in nitric oxide levels
  • Nourishes a healthy respiratory system
  • Helps maintain a healthy cardiovascular system
  • Helps support healthy blood pressure levels already in the normal range
  • Helps enhance reproductive function
  • Aids in maintaining a healthy, efficient immune system



This product contains some serious L-Arginine (amongst other fabulous things) which is converted by the body into a chemical called nitric oxide.  This essentially relaxes the blood vessels, allowing them to expand and increase the blood flow that reaches our muscles during exercise.   This increased blood flows allows additional oxygen to reach working muscles, which enhances performance.   So in a nutshell, it's going to make intensive exercise feel easier.  #winning #forshiz




And last, we have my beloved 02 Gold, which I believe I have talked about before.   However, I love it so much that I think it deserves an encore. 


Again, this product is designed to enhance the bodies ability to utilize oxygen and and enhance physical activity.   It contains adaptogens,  which are designed to assist your body in resisting physical stress (aka...exercise!)   These adaptogens have been shown to help facilitate oxygen transport, which in turn increases your  physical ability and more importantly, your tolerance for physical exertion.   For me, this means I can run farther and for a greater amount of time without feeling a whole lot of cardiovascular stress.   My breathing is less labored and I just feel more comfortable in general.

Skeptical?   I was too.   However, for me, the products that I love, specifically 02 Gold,  speak for themselves.     I have been using this product for  three years now and can truly say, aside from Spark and Catalyst, this is the one product that I'm calling every person in a 90 mile radius who I suspect may have a stash, if/when I run out.    And if I can't locate it that way...I basically call 911.

  I run with a large running group and have even turned many of my fellow runners into 02 Gold believers.     I have improved my times in both the half and full marathons. I work hard, yes.  However, these products are really the only thing that I have done differently in regards to running.


And one more thing  that is super important to me is that these (and all Advocare products for that matter) are approved by the Olympic standards committee.  They are continuously undergoing rigorous testing to maintain compliance.   They are quality, elite products.



Okay...


During my runs…


Less than about 8 miles, I typically don't take anything DURING the run.  

However, anywhere from 8-22 miles (22 is our longest training run), I will take a Rehydrate Gel every 5 miles.




I will also take one more 02 Gold if going longer than about 13-14 miles.




Post Run



Typically I follow this drill after a long training run.   Not daily because I don't feel that I need it unless I'm cranking serious miles.


1.  Post Workout Recovery




 Advocare Post Workout Recovery Shake.  I can't say enough about this product.   It was developed for athletes to minimize muscle soreness and speed recovery time.    It is in Ohio State's football loccer room as well as many NFL loccer rooms.   It's the bomb.     I also take two extra Omegaplex to help further decrease inflammation.  


The Post Workout Recovery can be mixed with water, milk, almond milk, or whatever tickles your fancy.     I personally mix 2 scoops of PWR, 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1 frozen banana, and 1 cup of spinach in the blender.     It's truly delish and never fails me.  




2.  Nightime Recovery







Two of these bad boys at night after a long run…Golden.

This product contains adaptagens which aid in muscle recovery and stress to the body in general.   This also aids in muscle repair, hence allowing us to be badass again more quickly.
Plus, I swear there is something ever so slightly in this product that helps me sleep.  Anyone????





Questions?   Message me…advocarerunner1@gmail.com


I'll be answering lots of emails this weekend so giddy up, yo's.



If you live in the tundra like me, stay warm!  For the rest of you, I'm starting to get madatcha.   #pdhmily


See you back here for Sunday Sentiments.  For real.




Keep on rollin',


-AR


No comments:

Post a Comment