Tuesday, July 15, 2014

My current FAVE at home full body strength training workout



Soo…  My schedule has been all over the place.  This basically means that I've developed a new hobby which consists of constantly trolling the innerwebs for new strength training workouts that can be done at home when I've got a 30 minute window.   Did I mention that you ONLY need dumbbells?   That's the beauty.


First things first, if you aren't strength training, you need to start.  Yesterday.   I can't preach it enough.

Do you want better fitting clothes, a mental boost, stronger bones, lower cholesterol, more energy, higher metaboslim, increased self confidence, decreased stress, better sleep, decreased body fat, and a zillllllion and one other fabulous things?     Yes, the answer is yes.




Okay, so I have this.   Which is basically awesome and worth every cent.


However, if you aren't ready to make that kind of investment and don't already have dumbbells, go to Dicks or even Target and buy yourself a couple sets and you're good to go.    We're looking at a minimal investment.  But seriously, get yourself some weights.  For shizzle.

I tend to fluctuate between 10 lb, 12 lb, or 15 lb weights with this particular workout.


If you're a newbie to strength training, I would start with a pair of 5's and a pair of 8's.  





*I rest 20-30 seconds in between each set.   This will keep your heart rate up.  Trust me.   The recommendation is a full minute rest between sets.   Howevs, we all know that rules are meant to be broken.  


Gurrrruntee, if you don't take the full minute rest and do you each exercise with intention, you'll be deeerenched in sweat and happy as a PIS.

I've added random pics just to show you guys how this should look.   I have zero idea who any of these people are.  


Here's the deal…we are technically only talking 10 exercises here.   Howevs,  you will be sore.  And happy. And you're gonna feel awesome about the whole thing.   So get there, mmmkay?

  Here we go, yo.



1.  SQUAT

Dumbbells on shoulers, squat as close to parralel as possible and return to starting position.  

3 sets of 12 reps.    I use 15 lb dumbbels for this.  

Looks like this

Muslces worked:   Hamstrings, Glutes, Quads




2.  STIFF LEG DEADLIFT

3 sets of 12 reps.   I use 12 lbs dumbbells and get a fabulous burn every time.   Should look like this.    This is one rep.

Muslces Worked:  Hamstrings, Glutes, Lower Back






3.  LYING PRESS


3 sets of 12 reps.   I usually use 10's on these.

Muslces Worked:  Chest, Shoulders, Triceps



*This can be done on a mat, bench, exercise ball, floor, etc.



4.  LYING FLYES

3 sets of 12 reps.  I ususally use 10's.

Again, can be done on mat, bench floor, ball, etc.

Muslces Worked:  Chest, Shoulers, Biceps






5.  LATERAL RAISE


3 sets of 12.   I usually start with 10's and end up with 8's by the last set.  These kill me.

Muscles Worked:   Shoulders 







6.  OVERHEAD PRESS

3 sets of 12.   I ususally use 12's on these.  Love this exercise for bangin' shoulders, amongst other things.


Muslces Worked:  Shoulders, Biceps, Back


Howza bout a little cartoon for good measure?





7.  BENT OVER ROWS


3 sets of 12.  I ususally use 12's on these as well.



Muscles Worked:  Middle Back, Biceps, Lats, Shoulders






8.  BICEP CURLS


3 sets of 12.  I use 10's on the first set and have to end up switching to 8's for second and third sets.

Muscles Worked:  Biceps





9. LYING TRICEP EXTENSION


3 sets of 12.  I use 10's on these.



Muscles Worked:   Triceps, Shoulders





10.  ABS

I make this up everytime but always aim for 200 reps of a variation of exercises. 

Examples:



One of my faves… An oldie but goodie.. The bicycle






LOVE a plank series




And end with a good old fashioned plank



Challenge yourself.  Hold that sucker for as long as you can but aim for at least 30 seconds to start.  If you take my class at Title,  you know I'm mean with those planks and have been known to make poor soul hold a two minute plank.   Start with 30 and work your way up.  You can do it, friends.   Promise ya that.




There you have it, friends.    My fave, quick, FULL body workout.  Technically 10 exercises that will leave you sore, sweaty and happy. 







4 comments:

  1. Love it!! I'm going to use some of these to add to what I already do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do I need to do this everyday or every other day? I planned for every other day and to do cardio on the off days. I started yesterday and am definitely sore today

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, great work outs.
    http://www.shefitnessclub.com/

    ReplyDelete