Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Why I Don't Own a Scale and Neither Should You




It may be hard to believe coming from someone whose primary income comes from Advo.     However, it's true.  I don't own one.  Nor do I want to.   Nor do I really even know exactly HOW much I weigh.    In fact, the only time I really see my weight is when I go to the Dr.     No lie.  

What I do know is this…..




'Tis True. 


Here's the deal.  You've all heard it before, but hardly any of us listen...  The number means nothing.    It doesn't.  And it's SOOO easy to get caught up in that number.   

 I went through a phase in my  early twenties where I was almost consumed with that number.  I would weigh myself 5-6  times a day.  And it was exhausting.  And really, I have zero doubt that I weighed more then, consumed by the scale, than I do now, not even really knowing my weight.  



What matters is how sassy you feel in your clothes, how strong you feel, how energetic you feel.  

 None of that will lie.   The scale WILL lie.    Weigh yourself after a serious sweat sesh and tell me you aren't happy you lost 2 lbs.   Weigh yourself the next day after you're nicely hydrated and tell me you aren't sad that you "gained" weight.     


Yes, I tell my peeps to weigh themselves at the start and finish of their 24 Day Challenge for baseline purposes.  However, we focus big-time on inches.  Inches don't lie either.     


The things is, you'll KNOW when you're at your goal "weight."    It's based on how you feel in your jeans, based on your mood, based on how energetic you feel.    There is ZERO need for the scale to tell you.   #facty


The fact of the matter is, that "goal weight" is going to fluctuate.   You may be there but have a couple days of feeling gross, bloated, tired.   You'll KNOW when to reign it in and get back on the wagon.  It's all about balance, listening to your body, and seriously, avoiding the scale.



So get rid of 'em, friends.   If you're consumed by the scale, I challenge you to get rid of it for 2 weeks.  Really LISTEN to your body and tell me you don't feel better, happier, healthier….   
DARE YOU.








See ya'll back here tomorrow for So What Wednesday!




7 comments:

  1. I totally agree! When I felt my fittest and strongest, the number on the scale was also higher than I "though" it should be. So stupid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true. We all know it. Muscle weights more than fat. However, the higher, muscular # can be so hard to swallow at times.

      Delete
  2. I know what you are saying about the scale! I'm an Advocare user as well, and I know I'm at my best most fittest self I've ever been....but I'm doing a 90 day challenge and have to weigh in for that and I hate it! I know that mine is muscle gain, but I hate seeing the number going up even though the clothes aren't! It definitely is 100% mental!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say look away! Don't even allow yourself to know the #!

      Delete
  3. I am one of those consumed by the scale weighing myself 7 times a day! I also watch everything I eat, and could care less about food anymore. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, get rid of it. 2 Weeks. Dare you.

      Delete
  4. I needed this today. First time in 3 years I am avoiding the scale. Kind of sad how it can make or break my motivation for the day. I have made it two weeks without stepping foot on it and actually debated this morning. Not now :)

    ReplyDelete