Monday, August 26, 2013

Meal Prep Monday!!!


Here we go, yo.   A brand new feature on prepping for the week ahead!   This will likely be a bi-weekly feature, along with my girl Niki, and we would LOVE some others to join in the fun!



Prepping for the week really isn't hard.  I promise.   I would bet it takes me a total of 3-4 hours, which includes making a menu, making a list for the grocery store, going to the actual store, and then prepping the food.   Of course this isn't done in a single chunk of time so it's not like you need an entire 4 hour block of time.  You feel me?



If you have been reading the blog for awhile, you may remember my how to prep for the 24 Day Challenge post.   Really, my weekly prep isn't a whole lot different.  Different yes, because it's on a lesser scale and I incorporate a few foods that are not challenge friendly, per say.   But the actual preparation part is very similar. 


I start out with a list and recipes.   I wish I could say that I had a fancy system, but I don't.   Here are how things look up in here by Sunday.  I don't even like to use  Iphone notes for this.  I like old school pen and paper.  I just do.    I keep recipes saved on my computer and then write it all out as I'm planning....And then I ride my dinosaur over to the grocery store and proceed from there....



So this weekends prepping consisted of:

  • Boiling 18 eggs.  #1 rule of clean eating.  Always have accessible boiled eggs.  Trust me.
  • Washing and cutting veggies for snacking, recipes, and salads
  • Washing and drying fruit
  • Chopping cilantro, limes, lemons, and scallions
  • Making protein bars (recipe to follow)
  • Cooking 2 lbs of chicken.  Rule #2  Always have cooked chicken in the fridge.  You will need it for quick salads, or an actual meal if things fall apart.
  • Cooking 2 lbs. of ground turkey for recipes that are on deck for the week.

This whole process combined literally took about 75 minutes.   #NBD.   The payoff is huge.   Again, trust me.




As ya'll know, I LOVE these Tupperware veggie/ fruit containers as seen in my fridge.   And no, I'm not a Tupperware sales person.   But my friend Jennifer, is if you're in the market for one.   But yeah, these containers are awesome and I know I've talked about them before so I won't bore you with the deets.



First things first.  These protein bars are so freaking easy and are fab to have as a regular staple in your freezer.   Here's what you need...




2 cups TJ's quick cook steel cut oats
5 scoops of Advocare Chocolate Muscle Gain
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 cup unsweetened chocolate almond milk
3 packets of Stevia


So here's the deal.  You want to cook the quick cook oats before you start the process.  Cook with about 1/2 cup of water for about 2 minutes.   The mike is fine but so is the stove on high for 2 min.  You don't want to use too much water or the whole thing will be a flop, as they will be too runny.

After your oats are somewhat cooked, mix the remaining ingredients together.     Press them into a baking dish, covered in wax paper.   Freeze for an hour.  Remove from freezer and slice into bars.   I typically wrap them in more wax paper and portion them into ziploc bags.  These freeze awesome and quite honestly, I think they are best right out of the freezer.     And they're legit so easy and so good for on the go.  And WAY cheaper and more clean than any bar on the market.  So there's that.





Tonight was Avocado Lime Tilapia Tacos.  #TDF

You need:

And I'm vague with the spices because I eyeball it and basically do it by taste.  I'll estimate, so don't be alarmed. 

1 lb. of Tilapia
Juice of 1 fresh lime
2 Avocado
Olive Oil  (3 tbsp?)
Black Pepper  ( 1 tsp)
Sea Salt  (2 tsp)
Onion Powder (1 1/2 tsp)
Garlic Powder ( 1 1/2 tsp)
Red onion ( 1/2 onion?)
Corn (I use one corn on the cob and scrape it off.  Somehow I think it tastes better, but I would say 1/2 cup of corn)
2 packets of stevia
Cilantro
Salsa

In a skillet, combine the tilapia, olive oil, black pepper, 1 tsp of salt, half of onion powder, half of garlic powder, and one packet of stevia.

While that is cooking, combine diced avocado, lime, more black pepper, more salt, more onion powder, more garlic powder, red onion, corn, and 1 packet of stevia in a separate bowl.     Set aside in the fridge while while tilapia is cooking. FYI, you want the tilapia flaky.  Super flaky.






As far as the wraps go, you can use Ezekial or any other clean wrap.  I like a small wrap for fish tacos and love these.



Stats are decent, for sure.  Found in the ethnic foods section of any grocery store these days.


On deck for the week:

Almond Crusted Chicken (recipe to come)
Turkey Stuffed Bell Peppers (TDF!  Recipe to come)

Oh and I still owe you guys my Greek Chili recipe.


If I can get my act together, there may be some Tuesday Troubles tomorrow.  Worst case scenario, I'll see you back here Wednesday morning for SWW.   


Laters Babes.






1 comment:

  1. what can i use instead of the muscle gain i'm new with the 24 day cleanse (haven't started it yet) and still getting ready for the food prep and menu

    ReplyDelete